Families have an enormous influence on every member. While families can be great support systems for teens struggling with mental health concerns, it is also possible that a dysfunctional family dynamic can be a source of stress or strain for an adolescent. Family therapy is an excellent tool to address sources or triggers of stress and strengthen and improve support systems. Imagine offers a family therapy program in Fort Collins to give your family the help you need. Contact us at 970.680.5887 today to explore your options.
What is Family Counseling?
Family counseling is a psychological approach that focuses on improving and healing relationships within the family unit. Sessions are facilitated by a psychologist or a licensed therapist and would include all members of the family who are willing to participate in therapy. There are many different kinds of family therapy, such as:
- Structural therapy – This therapy focuses on the family structure or hierarchy instead of individual behaviors or psyches. The family structure is based on personal interactions, which would be repaired or enhanced as needed.
- Systemic therapy – Systemic therapy focuses more on the family’s feelings and behaviors, treating individual issues as symptoms of problems with the family as a whole. The family is encouraged to work as a unit to address problematic behavior.
- Supportive therapy – This family therapy provides a safe and open environment where family members can honestly communicate their feelings. The therapist may offer practical advice on how to address specific issues.
- Strategic therapy – This therapy forgoes in-depth analysis in favor of a problem-solving approach. Families are encouraged to work together towards a common, tangible goal by focusing on the here and now.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – Similar to individual therapy, family cognitive behavioral therapy aims to eliminate issues by changing how an individual thinks or behaves. In family therapy, the impact and influence of these behaviors on the family as a whole are also addressed.
In family counseling sessions, the therapist or psychologist will explore and discuss which approach will work best for each family, given their dynamics and the challenges that they are facing.
How Does Family Counseling Help with Healing Relationships?
One of the benefits of family counseling is repairing familial relationships. This involves the therapy providing the following:
- Improved communication – Family members are taught how to communicate their feelings appropriately and interact with each other with respect and love. Becoming aware of and understanding each family member’s point of view is instrumental in healing relationships.
- Eliminating unhealthy patterns – Through therapy, destructive patterns of interaction can be identified and removed, causing fewer misunderstandings and hurt feelings.
- Treating mental health concerns – A significant percentage of mental health disorders, especially in teens, may stem from or are exacerbated by issues in their families. In treating the family as a whole, family members can improve their mental health.
Dysfunctional familial relationships with teens are often shrugged off or even jokingly expected. However, this need not be the case, and a healthy dynamic is possible with your adolescent child. Problems communicating with teens may also be due to underlying mental health concerns or more significant issues within the family. Going through a family therapy program is the best way to improve family relationships and address each member’s challenges.
Find a Family Therapy Program in Fort Collins
Imagine Fort Collins provides comprehensive family therapy programs and other mental health treatments. Our skilled and compassionate staff specializes in treating adolescent mental health disorders through a trauma-informed approach. We are ready to work with you to find the path that will best benefit every member of your family. Contact Imagine Fort Collins today at 970.680.5887 to learn more about what we can offer.